Tue, 23 Jan|
Studio 32 Sew it Together
BEGINNERS SEWING COURSE - INTENSIVE
2 MORNINGS A WEEK UNTIL APRIL 2024. 12 CLASSES Unleash your creative Spirit one stitch at a time!
Time & Location
23 Jan 2024, 09:30 – 14 Mar 2024, 23:45
Studio 32 Sew it Together, Studio 32, 32 Palmer Rd, Muizenberg, Cape Town, 7945, South Africa
About the Event
You will learn all the basics of sewing in 12 weeks of Saturday morning classes.
Machines and fabrics for the first two projects in The Basics section, are provided.
In the first 6 classes you will discover and begin to master THE BASICS
- How to set up a sewing machine
- How to use a machine skillfully
- Seam allowances and grainlines
- Cutting fabric and laying up a pattern correctly
- Basic sewing skills - sewing straight; sewing corners correctly
You will make 2-3 projects chosen to develop and practice your sewing skills and teach simple construction techniques:
- Sew a bag with lining
- How to create straps from scratch
- Create a super useful and trendy tool belt apron. It's great for use in your classes and has loads of pockets for your sewing tools
- How to attach a waistband
- Intro to using a zip foot and create a zippered bag to keep your sewing tools in
Now you are ready for Part 2 - MAKE YOUR OWN CLOTHING
- Take proper measurements
- Choose the correct size on a pattern
- How to read a pattern and what it all means
- Tracing a pattern from a multi sized pattern
- Layup the pattern pieces correctly onto the fabric
- Sew a pair of shorts/pants with elasticated waistband and inseam pockets
- Sew a t shirt or sweatshirt and learn how to attach neck and waistbands
- Learn how to sew darts in either a sleeveless top or skirt
- We will make 2 or possibly 3 items of clothing depending on the group's speed and decisions.
PREP OR CATCH UP STUDIO TIME
You may choose to purchase some 3 hour Open Studio sewing sessions to give you extra preparation or sewing time. See the Open Studio Plans on the Home page. These are not teaching sessions but you may use them to do some of the sewing you could not finish in class, or lay up and cut your next project, or anything else related to the classes that you need to do.
Open Studio sessions are scheduled during the week and on Saturday afternoons.
YOU WILL NEED:
Basic sewing tools as discussed in part one - pins, tailors chalk, unpicker, nippers, pack of machine needles. You may order from the Studio
Some fabric - to be discussed
I recommend the full course for a truly comprehensive learning experience which will stay with you for the rest of your sewing life. However, it is possible to start with THE BASICS a series of 6 classes to get you going.
I really want you to leave my course with the confidence to go for it on your own, and armed with good solid skills.
This course is for hobby sewers or those who wish to create an income stream for themselves in a small business.
The course is not training for the world of commercial/factory employment skills.
Training for small businesses who want to upskill their staff is definitely possible by arrangement. Please email email@example.com for a discussion.
- Ticket type
You have purchased access to a 12 or 6 class sewing course.PriceFrom R 2 600,00 to R 4 800,00
- THE BASICS 6 CLASSESR 2 600,00
- THE FULL INTENSIVE 12 CLASSESR 4 800,00